Search This Blog

Friday, February 01, 2019

I decided to re-visit the Capetown water story as it has made people think..

But many of us know only that Capetown city faced a day when there would be no more water in its taps. But not much of the story before and after.. Here is that story, with many lessons for the rest of the cities across the world.. 

In 2007, South Africa's Department of Water Affairs and Forestry predicted that the growing demand on the Western Cape Water Supply System would exceed supply if water conservation and demand management measures were not implemented. Before the crisis, Capetown, a city of 4 million (around one-fourth that of Delhi) consumed 1200 million litres a day. Per capita per day consumption was 135 litres.

An El Nino-triggered drought in 2015 hit agricultural production and economic growth throughout South Africa. Cape Town was particularly hard hit, and lack of good subsequent rains around the city made its water shortage worse. The burden of making sure Day Zero did not happen rested largely on household's ability to cut down on water usage. 

Restrictions were imposed on 1 June 2017, limiting the usage of water to 100 litres per person per day. By early October 2017, following a low rainfall winter, Cape Town had an estimated five months of storage available before water levels would be depleted. "Water rationing through extreme pressure reduction" was implemented immediately. 

In early 2018, when the dam levels were predicted to decline to critically low levels by April because of lack of rain, the City announced plans for "Day Zero", when the municipal water supply would largely be shut off if a particular lower limit of water storage was reached, potentially making Cape Town the first major city in the world to run out of water.

Through water saving measures, the City reduced its daily water usage by more than half to around 500 million litres per day in March 2018. Residents lived with stringent consumption restrictions through most of 2018, at 50 litres per person per day.

Urban residents were requested not to flush the toilet after urinating, to flush using rainwater or greywater after defecating, and to reduce the length and frequency of showers. In order to conserve water, hand sanitizer was provided in offices and public buildings for use instead of conventional hand-washing. Some cafes began using plastic and paper cups and plates, to reduce dish-washing.

50 litres a day per person is just enough for a 90-second shower, 4 litres of drinking water / tea / coffee, neembu drink, etc., a sink-ful to hand-wash dishes or laundry, one cooked meal, two hand washings, two teeth brushings and one toilet flush. 

In September 2018, with rains having at last arrived and dam levels close to 70%, the city began easing water restrictions to 70 litres per person per dayDam levels peaked at 76% and in November 2018, restrictions were reduced to 105 litres per person per day, aiming for a 30% saving on normal usage.  

In contrast, average water consumption in Delhi is estimated at 240 liters per capita per dayIt is to be remembered that South Africa's per capita GDP is three times that of India as is its per capita water storage capacity

The 60% restriction in 2018 of water usage for irrigation by agriculture around Cape Town resulted in the loss of 37,000 jobs in the Western Cape Province and an estimated 50,000 people being pushed below the poverty line due to job losses, inflation and increases in the price of food.

27 comments:

  1. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your post. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme. Did
    you develop this site yourself? Please reply back as I?m planning to create my very
    own blog and want to find out where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named.
    Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the efforts you have put in this, appreciate it for all
    the great blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog
    with my twitter group? There's a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content.
    Please let me know. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quality articles or reviews is the key to invite the users to pay a quick visit the web site, that's what this web page is providing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I
    am impressed! Extremely helpful information specifically the last part
    :) I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this
    particular information for a long time. Thank you
    and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the efforts you have put in this, thanks for all the great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I blog frequently and I genuinely appreciate your content.

    The article has really peaked my interest. I'm going to bookmark your
    site and keep checking for new information about once per week.
    I opted in for your Feed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great tip especially to those fresh
    to the blogosphere. Short but very precise information...
    Many thanks for sharing this one. A must read post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this post is fastidious, my sister is analyzing these things, so I am going to inform her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see something genuinely interesting about your web
    blog so I saved to my bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heya! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4!
    Just wanted to say I love reading through
    your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the
    excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really correctly drafted info. It can be great for all of us
    who employs that, for example everyone. Keep doing your work , can’r wait
    for more info items.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're a group of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with helpful information to work
    on. You have performed an impressive process and our whole community might be grateful
    to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very descriptive article, I enjoyed that a lot. Will there be a
    part 2?

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for this post, I am a big fan of this internet site would like to
    proceed updated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like this web site it's a master piece! Glad I discovered this on google.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article
    like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all
    webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more
    useful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Inspiring story there. What occurred after? Take
    care!

    ReplyDelete
  20. As I website possessor I believe the subject matter here is really superb, appreciate it for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post. I will be facing some of these issues as well..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd constantly want to be update on new articles on this
    website, saved to my bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Appreciate it for this marvellous post, I am glad I found this internet site on yahoo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Utterly written content, Really enjoyed studying.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's impressive that you are getting ideas from this piece of writing as
    well as from our argument made at this place.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good work over again. I am looking forward for more updates=)

    ReplyDelete
  27. My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was once totally right.
    This post actually made my day. You cann't imagine just how much time
    I had spent for this info! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete