Search This Blog

Monday, January 14, 2019

The insurance industry and fossil fuels..

The increasing frequency and severity of extreme weather events across the globe has been noted by studies. The specific types of weather events include hurricanes, extreme precipitation, tornadoes, landslides, mudflows, drought, wild fires, heat waves, flash floods and rising sea levels.

It is sobering to realize that only a little over a fourth of the losses due to natural disasters In 2016 were covered by insurance. That is, over a 100 billion pounds worth of losses in 2016, were not covered by insurance and the owners of the assets or services affected, had to bear those losses.

The increasing severity of weather events has been linked to continued fossil fuel use, dumping more and more CO2 every day in the earth's atmosphere, increasing its 'blanket' such that the heat from the sun cannot fully be released back into space.

The insurance industry is one of the world’s biggest institutional investors in fossil fuels.

In the United States, the city of San Francisco has potentially become the first US municipal body to try to force insurance companies to stop insuring and investing in fossil fuels.

Fossil fuels were long considered a ‘safe bet’ until climate scientists declared that the bulk of all known reserves had to stay in the ground if humanity is to limit global warming to 1.5ÂșC. The risk lies in these fossil fuel investments becoming what is known as stranded assets, which essentially means investments in coal, oil and gas could potentially suffer from a sudden and unexpected drop in value as society puts measures in place to prevent their use.

Whether it’s a drop in demand, new legislation or the threat of legal action, the sheer speed and unanticipated manner in which these factors could take hold could, at some point in the not to distant future, render the bulk of the insurance industry’s fossil fuel investments worthless.

There is also the question of what the insurance industry chooses to insure, or rather, not insure. Fossil fuel companies can’t operate their facilities or build new power plants without insurance coverage. They depend on insurers to cover the legal, financial and natural risks of their projects. Coal has been highlighted as the most carbon heavy of all fossil fuels generating not only nearly half of the world’s CO2, but also creating the most atmospheric pollution.

Researchers have concluded that we cannot afford to build any new coal power plants and have to retire existing plants early in order to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement and avoid the worst impacts of runaway climate change. Yet there are currently 1,600 new coal plants planned globally. If the insurance industry was to cease underwriting such intensive fossil fuel production sites it is likely that many of these projects would never go ahead.

However, in spite of their rhetoric, insurers continue to enable climate-destroying coal projects. They offer insurance coverage without which these projects could not go forward, and have invested more than 500 billion dollars in fossil fuel companies.

An increasing number of insurance companies have divested from providing insurance coverage and investment funds to new coal projects, they are selling holdings in coal companies and refuse to underwrite their operations.

Fifteen insurance compaies have fully or partially halted financial relations with coal companies, representing $4 trillion in global assets. The first-movers, including Allianz, Aviva, AXA and SCOR, are almost exclusively located in Europe and represent 13 percent of all global insurance assets. 

Allianz recently pledged to immediately withdraw from insuring single coal-fired power plants and coal mines, either in operation or planning. Zurich insurance Group announced in nov 2017 that it will stop providing insurance or risk management services for new thermal coal mines or for potential new clients that derive more than half their revenue from mining thermal coal. It will also stop supporting utility companies that generate more than 50 percent of their electricity from coal. Swiss Re and Lloyd’s will also be announcing plans to divest from coal in the coming months. AXA and Swiss Re have also limited their underwriting of tar sands projects

Unfortunately when it comes to the climate change time horizon, the very industry which could have more impact than any other is clearly not taking action quickly enough. Even the bold pledge by Allianz has significant limitations, as the company also stated it will continue to insure businesses that generate power though multiple fossil fuel sources, including coal, until 2040.

The eight top US insurance companies that do not consider climate change in their investments are State Farm, Allstate, Liberty Mutual, Berkshire Hathaway/Geico, Travelers, Nationwide, Progressive and USAA. Only one US insurance company, Lemonade, has pledged not to support fossil fuels.

25 comments:

  1. Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful
    & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others
    like you aided me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with
    Search Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but
    I'm not seeing very good success. If you know of any please share.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! This article could not be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!

    He continually kept preaching about this. I most certainly
    will send this information to him. Fairly certain he will have a
    great read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this piece of writing is nice, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, so I am
    going to tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're really a good webmaster. The site loading
    velocity is incredible. It kind of feels that you're doing any unique trick.
    In addition, The contents are masterwork. you've performed a
    wonderful process in this subject!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very straightforward to find out any
    matter on net as compared to books, as I found this paragraph at this web page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That means you will only be reimbursed for the figure that's an estimation with the item's current second-hand value.

    With the growing pollution around the world with all the ozone layer fast depleting, people are easily encountered with
    the ultraviolet rays and adverse pollutants via a flight or waters.
    Rising costs of food and also other essential products might be attributed to many variables.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website.
    I really hope to check out the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well.
    In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get
    my very own site now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
    of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and
    I look forward to your new updates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're truly a good webmaster. The web site loading velocity is incredible.
    It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick.

    Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you've done a magnificent task in this
    topic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your site is very cool.

    I am impressed by the details that you've on this blog.
    It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject.
    Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles.
    You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and simply couldn't come across.
    What an ideal website.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An outstandig share! I've just forwarded this onto
    a coworker who had been doing a little research on this.Andd
    he actually ordered me lunch simply because I found it forr him...
    lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for thhe meal!!
    But yeah, thanx for spending some time to discuss this topic here on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This way, you are probably receiving the highest concentration of active vitamin for the
    complete 60 days of the company's shelf life.
    To increase our lifespan and our quality lifestyle
    we should instead take a look at illness and disease from the prospective of prevention and never treatment as we have in the past.
    o Get at the very least fifteen minutes per day of unprotected exposure to the sun within the early morning
    and late afternoon, especially between May and September.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When some one searches for his required thing, so he/she
    wants to be available that in detail, so that thing is
    maintained over here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website thus i came
    to “return the favor”.I'm attempting to find things to improve
    my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First off I want to say great blog! I had a quick question which I'd
    like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious
    to know how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.
    I've had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my
    ideas out there. I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are
    usually lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice respond in return of this difficulty with solid arguments and telling everything about that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello there! I could have sworn I've visited this site before but after looking at some of the posts I
    realized it's new to me. Regardless, I'm definitely delighted
    I discovered it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I seriously love your blog.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you make this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as
    I'm looking to create my very own site and want to find out where you got this from or just what the theme is called.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fine way of telling, and good post to obtain facts on the topic
    of my presentation topic, which i am going
    to present in institution of higher education.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the helpful info you provide to your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and check once more right here regularly.

    I'm relatively sure I will learn many new stuff right right here!
    Good luck for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read this post completely regarding the resemblance of most recent and preceding technologies,it's awesome article.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are truly impressive ideas in regarding blogging.
    You have touched some pleasant factors here. Any way keep up wrinting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A person essentially help to make significantly
    articles I might state. This is the very first time I
    frequented your web page and so far? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this particular submit extraordinary.

    Wonderful task!

    ReplyDelete